Small to Medium-sized Enterprises particularly stand to gain from drones, overcoming the constraints of existing infrastructure and built-up chock points that dramatically slow operations or business expansion where operating conventional equipment is unsafe, awkward or simply too slow and inefficient.
If this is something your organisation is considering, consider these factors to initiate your path to warehouse drone implementation:
1. The strategic, commercial and operational fit between inventory drone systems and the ground level application of warehouse inventory management.
2. Strategic staff consultation based on business values of this technology to empower them to enable the transition and support other business areas.
3. The affordability, reliability and scalability of drone hardware options available to you.
4. A network or cloud that processes drone data into Warehouse Management Systems (WMS), etc.
5. The ability of drone software to enable fully autonomous indoor navigation, air traffic control and automatic scanning of barcodes, alphanumeric labels, RFID tags, QR codes, etc.
While there is a lot of hype regarding the continuous improvement in manufacturing and logistics, only when decision makers in government departments and commercial enterprises, paying attention to expert advice and implementing sound asset life cycle management plans, taking action, will reap the benefits from this type of logistics technology innovation.